The big kids are back in school! We said Farewell to the lazy days of summer and Hello to busy fall schedules. If your child took swim lessons over the summer, did you know that continuing throughout the school year could actually help him or her to do better in school? Numerous studies have shown a link between exercise and higher academic achievement. According to a study in the Journal of School Health, even when controlling for gender, race/ethnicity, and socioeconomic status, there is a significant correlation between the physical fitness and academic achievements of a child.
While any ongoing physical activity will reap academic benefits, swimming lessons are one of the very best choices:
- Swimming is a highly effective form of exercise, working almost all of the major muscle groups while building endurance, strength, and flexibility.
- Swimming has a much lower risk of injury than most sports.
- Swimming requires little to no equipment.
- Swimming can be competitive or non-competitive, a team sport or a solo endeavor. It is also a unique and individualized activity, suitable for most children.
- Swimming is a life skill everyone should have, and it is a prerequisite for other water sports and activities.
- It can be a year-round activity, because with Aqua-Tots Swim Schools’ comfortably heated indoor pools, swimming is a sport that knows no season!
Do you have younger kids still home during the day? This is a great time to introduce babies and toddlers to swimming. For little ones 4 months old and up, Aqua-Tots offers Parent & Tot classes that are perfect for that skin-to-skin bonding with Mom or Dad that we all know is so important. Your preschooler can benefit from year-round lessons as well. Besides retaining skills they may have learned over the summer, we know that children who start swimming lessons at a young age develop their fine motor skills more quickly. A recent study found that having strong motor skills translates to success in the first years of school.
Give your little ones a great head start and keep your big kids on the right path by enrolling them in swim lessons today! Visit www.aqua-tots.com to find a location near you!