About Our Level 1 Swim Lessons
Goal: Adjust to the water
What will your child learn
This Parent & Tot class is designed as a baby’s first introduction to swim lessons and gives caregivers the opportunity to bond with their little ones in the pool and help them adapt to the water.
At this age, babies are beginning to develop control over their bodies, and infant swim lessons create confidence when handling your baby in the water. In this class, you will:
- Bond with your 4- to 12-month-old
- Help your baby adjust to the water
- Develop confidence when handling your baby in the water
- Learn how to safely submerge your baby under the water
- Help your baby begin safe and proper breath control
- Introduce your baby to rollover and back float
- Help your baby begin to turn and reach for the pool’s edge
Learn more about Why Swim Lessons Should Start at 4 Months Old.
What Skills Are Required
Children in baby swim classes must meet the following requirements to be eligible for Level 1 Tadpoles:
- 4 months – 12 months old
- An adult caregiver (18 years or older) willing to participate in lessons
What You Can Expect
With over 120 Aqua-Tots locations worldwide, it’s easy to find baby swimming lessons near you, and it’s important to know what to bring and what to expect before, during and after swim lessons:
- Swim Bag: Bring a swimming suit, change of clothes and a towel for both baby and caregiver.
- Double Diaper: All babies in Level 1 are required to wear a disposable swim diaper under a reusable swim diaper. Both are available to purchase at the school, if needed.
- Tears to Cheers: Crying in a new environment is completely normal. Water is an adaptive experience, and it takes time to adjust. The more frequently you attend swim lessons, the faster the crying will subside. Learn more about Tears to Cheers.
- Underwater Expectations: As a pro-submersion school, we want your child to know what to do if they ever fall into the water unexpectedly. Learning to swim starts with being comfortable in the water, and that comfort begins with proper breath control. The face must be in the water in order to learn this aspect of swimming correctly. We also know that your child will be the safest and have the most fun when they know how to go underwater safely.
- Instruction: Your swim instructor is thoroughly trained in the proven Aqua-Tots curriculum, and they will lead your family through Level 1 swim lessons to prepare you and your child for Level 2. So, jump in and join along as your child begins their Swim Journey toward safe and confident swimming!
4 - 12 months
4 babies with caregivers